RX for health

RX for health

Saturday, August 23, 2014

MICHAEL'S COMMENT ON LCHF

What is the best diet for diabetes? I'm sure many of you think I'm going to say LCHF, since that's what I promote the most. Why do I do that?
Because that's what has worked for me. But I do believe there is more than one way to skin a cat. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the best diet for you as a diabetic is one that meets the following two criteria: 1) It helps you to maintain normal blood sugar numbers (70-99 fasting, 70-140 at all other times), and 2) one tha...t you can make into a long-term lifestyle. It has to be a lifestyle change or it won't matter. If you're diet meets these two criteria, then I'm all for it!
The main goal of your diet and exercise program should be to get your blood sugar numbers under control. That is my wish for you ... by any means necessary. Does this mean that I support a higher carbohydrate diet (150 grams/ day or more) if it requires the diabetic to take oral meds and insulin? Not really, but I'd rather see you have control over your blood sugar than not. That being said, if you're taking meds and insulin and you seem to be stuck on the blood sugar rollercoaster, consider your diet. If you aren't getting the results you want, it may be time to try something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment